- The CICADA Collection is a summary of problems and methods that have been important in the development of research and teaching derived from the CICADA project. Thanks to Younes Chahlaoui and Margarita Korovina who compiled and edited the contributions of all CICADA members.Download here
- Final Cross Feasibility Account Report
- Francoise Tisseur has been elected winner of the 2011/12 Adams Prize (joint with Dr Sheehan Olver of the University of Oxford).
- Steve Furber is made Fellow of the Computer History Museum
- Professor Nick Higham has been re-elected to a two-year term as Vice President at Large of SIAM, 2012-2013
- Congratulations are due to James Hook who has been awarded a year long EPSRC doctoral prize fellowship and Marc Goodfellow (currently in MIB) who has also been awarded a doctoral prize fellowship for 6 months.
- LATEST CICADA Newsletter - Issue 5
- Professor Paul Glendinning is Vice President (Learned Society) of The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, 2011-2012.
- Steve Furber discusses whether the microchip has run its course on Radio 4
- Dave Broomhead provides a mathematical prospective on the Alternative Vote debate
- Nick Higham has been successful in the European Research Council Advanced Grant Scheme 2010
- The CICADA team has been awarded a Cross-disciplinary Feasibility Account to explore new research ideas and collaborations.
- Steve Furber has been shortlisted for 2010 Millennium Technology Prize, the world's largest award for technological innovation.
- Francoise Tisseur has won the 2010 LMS Whitehead prize and has also been awarded an EPSRC Leadership Fellowship award worth nearly £1 million.
- CICADA awarded an EPSRC Creativity @ Home grant scheduled for 3-4 November 2010
- Dr Martin Brown will be demonstrating and talking about robotics at Techniquest Glyndwr, Wrexham on Monday 25 May 2009
- The most advanced humanoid robot in Europe, the iCub, comes to Manchester
- EPSRC studentship available from September 2009
Professor Nick Higham has won the London Mathematical Society's 2008
Fröhlich Prize in recognition of his leading contributions to numerical linear algebra and numerical stability analysis.
More information about Prof. Higham can be found on his homepage.
- Professor Nick Higham, FRS, has been named a 2009 SIAM Fellow: "For contributions to numerical linear algebra and rounding error analysis".
- Professor Steve Furber's most recent report for the BBC Tech Lab. can be read at the following webpage.
- Professor David Silvester has been elected President of the UK and Republic of Ireland SIAM Section for a two year period beginning April 2009.
- Stephen Furber, Professor of Computer Engineering, has been made a CBE for services to computer science. Professor Furber is the ICL Professor of Computer Engineering in the School of Computer Science. Educated at Manchester Grammar School, he is perhaps best known for his work within the R&D department at Acorn Computers, and was a principal designer of the BBC Microcomputer and the ARM 32-bit RISC microprocessor, both of which earned Acorn Computers a Queen’s Award for Technology.
- Nick Higham and Jack Dongarra have won EPSRC funding of £321,102 for the project "Novel asynchronous algorithms and software for large sparse systems", involving also the Universities of Edinburgh, Hull, Leeds and Strathclyde.
- Forthcoming visitors: Marco Thiel, Mamen Romano and Chris Brackley (University of Aberdeen): 12 - 15 October 2010
- Forth-coming seminar speakers: Carlo Laing (Massey University, New Zealand), Heather Tewkesbury (Smith Institute) and Prakash Panangaden (Mcgill University, Canada) ...
- Dr Françoise Tisseur has been awarded a Leverhulme Research Fellowship.
- Congratulations are due to Eva Navarro who has been awarded £100K by EPSRC for "DYVERSE: A New Kind of Control for Hybrid Systems".
- Find out more about the research our Research Associates are doing ..